How Does The YouTube Algorithm Work?
OKT. 1, 21
SEO and Algorithms?
Every business has a basic understanding of SEO and knows how to “work” different algorithms in their favor.
YouTube and SEO
YouTube seems to always know what each user wants to watch. But how does the algorithm work, and can you use it to your benefit?
How the YouTube algorithm works
YouTube strives to provide a uniquely personalized experience to each user.
Metrics in the YouTube algorithm
So, YouTube’s algorithm uses special metrics to rank and recommend videos within each section of its platform.
The Search Feature
Two main factors that affect your video’s rankings are keyword relevance and engagement metrics..
The Search Feature
So YouTube will keep tabs of your user's history but also on their requests and engagement patters.
YouTube cares less about how much time a user spends on a video As it cares about how people interact with each video
YouTube Ranking Signals
YouTube can help you build brand visibility and increase engagement
1. Keywords Relevancy
Place relevant keywords in your videos' titles, tags, descriptions etc. to match user searches.
2. Engagement metrics
Watch times, likes, comments, etc And keep your users engages with relevant content
3. How popular or active are you?
YouTube tracks how active and popular you are and how much time do users spend on YouTube after watching a video.
Having great quality content will not bring users to your channel. So, to make the most of it, you need to optimize your videos' metadata.
YouTube ranks content that leaves users feeling satisfied so always pay attention to what your users think about your content.
YouTube uses data collected through satisfaction surveys to train the algorithm as well as engagement signals like likes, dislike
Rank Content Through Historical Data
1. Performance: Using data like CTR and view duration, the algorithm can tell how well a video is expected to do on the SERP.
Rank Content Through Personalization
2. Personalization: To maximize you performance, put yourself in your users' shoes, keep them interested, and always coming back for more.
External Factors - Topic Interest
1. Topic interest and niche topic: You performance will be affected by your niche topic and size, and each geographic area.
External Factors - Competition
2. Competition: Depending on niche, topic and geographical area, you will have different levels of competition that will affect your performance.
External Factors - Seasonality
3. Seasonality and subject interest: The time of the year will also affect your performance, especially if you create season-specific content.
Once you understand how YouTube works, it's easy to start using it to your advantage.
1. Keep on top of your niche 2. Keep track of how the algorithm changes, and... 3. Always try to improve your content.
Thank you for watching
And if you need advice or a second opinion...